Joseph Faulkner


E-mail Exchange With Joseph Faulkner

Joseph contacted us using our online information form:

Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:34:18 -0500 (EST)
Your name: Joseph Faulkner
Your e-mail address: chri@ruthventel.com

Comments:
I would like more information concerning the Paranormal challenge. For instance:

1). Who are the five men who make the challenge, can they deliver?

2). Who does the judging?

3). Is truthful prediction included in the offer?

4). Can the challenge be withdrawn if the point is proven?

5). Can your challenge be expressed as follows:

...to any person who can demonstrate that prior Biblical predictions have come true, and that the statistical probability against these predictions are significantly against chance expectation?

I Responded:

Subject: Paranormal challenge
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:49:22 -0600
From: John Blanton <skeptic@ntskeptics.org>
To: chri@ruthventel.com

Hi, Joseph. Thanks for responding.

Below are the answers:

chri@ruthventel.com wrote:

> Your name: Joseph Faulkner
> Your e-mail address: chri@ruthventel.com
>
> Comments:
> I would like more information concerning the Paranormal challenge. For instance:
>
> 1). Who are the five men who make the challenge, can they deliver?
>

The five listed are the prize underwriters. We are variously research scientists, Ph.D.s, lawyers, and just plain concerned skeptics. We have each pledged $2000. We can deliver.

>
> 2). Who does the judging?
>

Generally, we will do the judging, but in the right circumstances a judge can be somebody else.

>
> 3). Is truthful prediction included in the offer?
>

Yes. Remember, this is about paranormal abilities. If you are an ace stock forecaster and you forecast the DJ will hit 10,000 in 2003, we might just take your word for it and let it go at that.
If you claim you have psychic powers (that include the ability to predict) we will test your psychic powers by requiring some sort of prediction (possibly a bunch of predictions).

>
> 4). Can the challenge be withdrawn if the point is proven?
>

No. If somebody can demonstrate paranormal powers we will gladly pay off and beat the drums about it around the world. It will be a first in recorded human history, and we want to be the first to announce it.

>
> 5). Can your challenge be expressed as follows:
>
> ...to any person who can demonstrate that prior Biblical predictions have come true, and that the statistical probability against these predictions are significantly against chance expectation?
>

No. You have to predict something that has not happened yet. Anybody can predict something that has already happened. Actually, I think that is called a postdiction. And we will generally leave the Bible out of it. The challenger will be the one doing the predictions. If the challenger elects to use a Bible (or tarot cards) to assist, we will allow that.

Let me know what you think. I am copying this to the other underwriters. We will be interested in your response.

Best regards,

John Blanton
--
The North Texas Skeptics
http://www.ntskeptics.org

Joseph responded

Subject: North Texas Skeptics information form
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:27:05 -0500 (EST)
From: chri@ruthventel.com
To: skeptic@ntskeptics.org

Your name: Joseph Faulkner
Your e-mail address: chri@ruthventel.com

Comments:
to John Blanton

Dear John:

Isn't this a little hard to believe? No one likes to eat crow.

"If somebody can demonstrate paranormal powers we will gladly pay off and beat the drums about it around the world. It will be a first in recorded human history, and we want to be the first to announce it."

But let me respond:

The ?somebody? which I propose can demonstrate paranormal powers is God Himself. I propose to convince you of this via mathematics and the scientific method. That should not frighten you, since the Bible has been a book which your group has frequently taken pot shots at in the past, especially in regards to those who support the Biblical account of origins and the young earth.

The basis for my position rests on astronomy (an exact science) and its ability to validate precise Biblical chronology. The ability to validate Biblical chronology is so slim that we can say that statistically speaking, it is impossible, however it has been done.

After the chronology has been validated, profuse patterns appear, patterns which in themselves are statistically impossible, however they are present.

Because Israeli history involves countless millions of largely independent humans and their cultures, any external guiding processes must be Divine Oversight by the God of Israel.

I will also demonstrate that the 6th century prophet Daniel predicted within a narrowly defined date, the coming of Jesus, and that he also predicted the precise date when the Jews came back to Jerusalem in this present era.

What is your response so far?

JF

I replied

Subject: Re: North Texas Skeptics information form
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 15:22:27 -0600
From: John Blanton <skeptic@ntskeptics.org>
To: chri@ruthventel.com

Hello, Joseph.

I stand by the statement. We went to a lot of trouble to put up the challenge and the money to back it. It would be a waste if we did not pay off at the first opportunity.

However, we only pay off to claimants. If somebody else besides you has a claim, that person needs to come forward. If you claim that predictions can be based on the Bible, you have to tell us what you propose to predict. And for my money it has to be something in the future.

After reading your note through to the end I find you ask for my response. My response is that you begin with a good high school education and work forward from there.

Best regards,

John Blanton
--
The North Texas Skeptics
http://www.ntskeptics.org

Joseph responded

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:32:16 -0500 (EST)
To: skeptic@ntskeptics.org

I find your belligerence, animosity, pontification and immense arrogance to be grossly offensive. Thomas Edison and Henry Ford both were scoffed at by the academics of their day, because of their four years of formal education. When Edison was asked how it was that he could invent a light bulb after so many academics had failed, he responded, "because no one told me how not to do it." Brains come from God, brainwashing comes from men. Unfortunately you are brainwashed and too arrogant to change. Jesus was criticized by the academics of his day, yet long after his teaching on earth, the world is changed for the good. People like yourself condemn and scoff at G-d. You are dead in your fear of G-d. You will, no doubt, face Him sooner than you would like to I am sure. I did not expect you to have the intestinal fortitude to respond to anyone with an ounce of brains; you are looking to shoot blind fish in a barrel, and then telling the world how great you are in doing it.

Joseph

I responded

Subject: NTS paranormal challenge
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 05:30:19 -0600
From: John Blanton <skeptic@ntskeptics.org>
To: Joseph Faulkner <chri@ruthventel.com>

Joseph,

Thanks for responding.

Your kind sentiments reflect your sterling character and fine moral upbringing. I only wish there were more people like you in the world.

However, if we could get back to the NTS paranormal challenge, I would like to discuss how you would approach your demonstration of paranormal abilities. I and the other underwriters would be particularly keen on what kind of prediction you can make about future events.

If you can give us some idea of the kinds of predictions you want to make that will be a start. For example, would you be able to predict world events, political developments, or maybe just the outcome of some lottery pick? Let us know.

With best regards,

John Blanton

--
The North Texas Skeptics
http://www.ntskeptics.org

Joseph responded

Subject: North Texas Skeptics information form
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:41:38 -0500 (EST)
To: skeptic@ntskeptics.org

Look John... why don?t you and your cronies go back to your sand box and play with yourselves. Every time a cripple kid comes by, throw sand in his face. Then go tell the rest of the kids in school what tough guys you are.

I responded

Subject: The North Texas Skeptics Paranormal Challenge
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 19:24:24 -0600
From: John Blanton <skeptic@ntskeptics.org>
To: Joseph Faulkner <chri@ruthventel.com>

Joseph,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

I am puzzled by your response. You sent me an e-mail expressing interest in challenging for the $10,000 prize we offer. You hinted at some ability to predict future events. Is that now off the table?

I know how difficult it is to perform these demonstrations of the so-called paranormal. In fact, we contend it is impossible. Apparently you have come to that same conclusion. Unfortunately that has always been the case in our past experience.

Hopefully you have learned something from this, and that is our aim. If we can help one person like yourself to see the error of his ways, we believe we have accomplished our purpose.

Best wishes in all your future endeavors,

John Blanton
--
The North Texas Skeptics
http://www.ntskeptics.org

I have heard nothing more from Joseph Faulkner.

Back to Challenge Activity